- GME VIDEO
- PROGRAM DIRECTOR
- MILWAUKEE FACULTY
- MEET THE RESIDENTS
- GENEVA LAKE AREA
- PROGRAM FACTS
WALWORTH COUNTY, WI
A Great Work/Life Balance in the Geneva Lakes Area
Located in beautiful southeastern Wisconsin, including the historic Lake Geneva Resort Area, Aurora Lakeland Medical Center in Elkhorn is a scenic forty-five minute drive west of Milwaukee. Aurora Lakeland is a two hour drive north of downtown Chicago and an hour drive east from Madison. The Geneva Lakes communities are a unique blend of upscale real estate, family-friendly small town neighborhoods, nearby vibrant nightlife locations, with artistic attractions and festivals for all seasons. It is the perfect place to begin your practice as a physician.
The Largest Lake
- Spring-fed Geneva Lake covers an area of approximately 9 square miles and a maximum length of 8 miles. Some of the most affluent vacation residencies in the Midwest line parts of the perimeter.
Arts, Attractions, Culture
- Along the Geneva Lake is the birthplace of modern astrophysics, Yerkes Observatory. A facility of the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics of the University of Chicago. Part of Albert Einstein's first tour of America, it was established in 1897. Notable astronomers who have conducted research at Yerkes include Edwin Hubble, namesake of the Hubble Space Telescope, and the famous twentieth-century popularizer of astronomy, Carl Sagan.
- The Lake Geneva Symphony Orchestra, guest artists include internationally recognized violinist Rachel Barton Pine, Chicago Symphony Orchestra musician Christopher Martin, and Julliard composer Wayne Oquin
- The Geneva Lake Arts Foundation. Founded in 1947, this organization promotes nationally recognized art and art festivals in the Lakeland Area
- The Walworth County Fair was established in 1849 and is one of the longest running fairs in the state
Sports and Recreation
- May through October Geneva Lake is the location of international and national sailing competitions with contestants who are Olympic Medalist and World Champion sailboat racers
- The Lake Geneva Area is a premier golf destination for the Midwest. Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus have been architects behind some courses in Lake Geneva. Dozens of golf courses are available throughout the area
- The Geneva Lake Shore Path. This twenty-one mile public footpath around the Lake shows the beautiful homes, landscapes, and boat houses of elegant lakeside estates
- Land sports include miles of trails in parks and forest preserves for biking, mountain biking, and hiking
- Water sports include wave running, power boats, sailboats, and yachting
- There are several guided day and multiday fishing trips available across Geneva Lake
- Winter sports include, skiing, snowboarding, forest snowshoe hikes, sledding, ice skating, and winter zip lining
- There are upscale salons and spas throughout the area
- Some of Wisconsin's most recognized wineries & breweries are located here
Neighborhoods and Schools
- Throughout Walworth County and the Geneva Lakes communities are family-friendly neighborhoods in rural townships, small towns, and communities such as Delavan, Elkhorn Fontana, Walworth, Williams Bay, East Troy
- Excellent real-estate location. The Lake Geneva Area includes some of the most affluent homes and luxury properties in the Midwest.
- The Lake Geneva Area has upscale dining options at luxury resorts and hotels, elegant cocktail lounges, steakhouses with award winning wine, and lively sports bars, many with beautiful lake views. Lakeland has a wide cosmopolitan cuisine option in addition to country cafes and small town family restaurants.
- Home of the U.S. National Snow Sculpting Competition
- Craft Brews & Chicago Blues Festival
- Lake Geneva Festival of Wine
- Venetian Festival
- Music by the Lake Festival
- Many others throughout the year!
- Beautiful summer beeches line parts of Geneva Lake.
- Dozens of parks, forest preserves, hiking and biking paths
- Boat rentals for group paddle boarding, speed boats, jet skis, pontoon boats, canoes, paddleboards, and kayaks
- Autumn foliage balloon rides
- Several family friendly waterparks
- Youth camps recognized throughout Wisconsin are also located here.
- The Lake Geneva Area has several yacht clubs and young professional organizations
- The Lakeland Area
Proximity to Metropolitan Chicago and Madison, Wisconsin
- The Lakeland area is a two hour drive north from downtown Chicago and word class shopping and dining options on its Magnificent Mile as well as internationally recognized museums and art galleries. Lakeland is also an hour drive east from Madison, the capitol of Wisconsin.
- The Magnificent Mile
- City of Madison, WI